Alphabet Magnets | A Right Brain Wannabe: Alphabet Magnets

Mar 3, 2014

Alphabet Magnets

Happy Iceday Monday to me?!  This weather is insane, 60 degrees on Friday to ice on Monday.

I know it's been a few days since I last wrote, I apologize for that. 
I know you've missed me!

The real job duties have been getting in the way of my creative time and inspiration this past week, and I have a feeling it will this week as well.

I travel occasionally for work and when I do, it's hard for me to keep the juices flowing, much less have a sewing machine close at hand.

Do you travel? How do you keep things flowing?

Any-who...I wanted to share with you the alphabet magnets I made for one of my girl friends who just moved into her new place.  I wanted her to have a little house warming present and I think they turned out great.

Earlier I shared with you my fabric snag but here are my fabric choices again.  I'm loving the aqua trend these days, I even painted my nails to match :)

For this project I started by going online to find some cute font I could duplicate on fabric. I needed a K and an M.  I wanted something with clean lines since I was going to be cutting it out of fabric.  I chose to make them about 8 inches tall since I wanted them to be a pretty big statement on her fridge :)  I cut out the letters using my pinking sheers to add a cute edge.

I needed a front and a back cut from each fabric, some interfacing, and a filler to make the letter have some depth along with being sturdy enough to stand on their own.

For the magnets themselves I found these cute strong magnets on Amazon. 30 for around 8 bucks and they are the perfect thing for a project like this.  

It took me a while to figure out how I was going sew them into the fabric without having visible stitch lines. Eventually I came up with the idea of stitching them by hand into the filler.  It may not be the BEST way, but it works.

After everything was sandwiched together, making sure I lined up the pinking sheer cuts as much as I could, I sewed them together using about a 1/4" hem allowance using an aqua thread for a little contrast.

I think they turned out great!  I have a feeling I will be making more of these in the future.

Hope you had a great weekend and I'll be sharing an update on Mr. Dino quilt real soon :)

1 comment:

  1. Looks good :P I thought these were for another K.M. at first ;)